From 2022 – 2023, Urban Bounty and Hamilton Community Center will be providing a “Pop-Up Market” in East Richmond. This is part of an implementation and research program funded by Community Food Centers Canada that intends to measure the extent subsidized access to fruits & vegetables has on health and well-being. It establishes non-profit community food markets in areas with limited or unaffordable fresh food options, and also offers a targeted ‘fresh food prescription’ called the Greens Rx.
Our vision is to support community members to access and afford fresh produce, increase their fruit and vegetable consumption, and, ultimately, improve their health and wellbeing.
Our mission is establishing a source of non-profit fresh food access that provides local produce for the community.
How to participate:
You can shop at the market every Saturday from 10AM-1PM at the Hamilton Community Centre (5140 Smith Dr, Richmond, BC V6V 2W5). It will run from July 9 – November 26, 2022 and then for select dates until the end of the year. For more information follow the Hamilton Community Centre Facebook Page.
A “fresh food prescription” that provides vouchers to purchase only fresh fruits and vegetables at the pop-up market. Enrollment will begin in May 2023, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are eligible. There is a screening process.
Who is eligible:
- Adults 18 or 19+ (minimum age depending on territorial/provincial jurisdiction)
- Managing a chronic cardiometabolic/diet-related illness (such as: coronary heart disease, Stroke and hypertension, Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, Type II diabetes, pre-diabetes, Insulin resistance, Impaired glucose tolerance, Osteoporosis; Elevated risk factors including abnormal lipids, diagnosis of pre-diabetes, family history of diagnosed heart disease or diabetes).
- Experiencing food insecurity
- Able/Willing to attend the program services at Hamilton Community Centre and participate in evaluation activities
- Not participating in a similar voucher program that supports the purchase of fruits & vegetables